Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Defence of Authors  

Page 3 / 4

username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I would like to believe that all killing is immoral. But I think in the case of this game that it shouldn't be considered that way. The marginalia are essentially attacking canon authors to destroy everything we stand for and the only way to fight back. Yeah, it is absolutely to immoral to kill people, but I think in self defense situations such as this one, that this act is okay.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I also just had another idea that is contradictory to my last post. If we stick with the "killing is immoral route", can we find some other way to combat the marginalia in a way that wouldn't be killing them? I picture it as this, if someone entered my house and tried to kill me, killing them would be self defense. However, I personally wouldn't be able to live with the fact that I took another life, so I would instead try to stop them/ hurt them in a way that doesn't kill them. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but this is just the way I have been thinking about this whole game. Does anyone have any ideas about methods other than killing?

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27  I think a substitute for killing could be capturing? But if we are taking the route that focuses on morals, capturing would not be very good either.  When I think of capturing instead of killing, I think of the Vietnam War and POW's.  Honestly during that war it was more morally right to just kill someone than to capture them and torture them until they die.  Maybe I'm thinking too realistically but that was my thought process for the idea of capturing. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I agree with this. Yes, I think killing in certain situations such as self defense is allowed, but capturing could be a smarter thing to do. We can extract information as well as get back at the other side. Is it morally right? I'm not so sure. But it could give us more of an advantage.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia, this idea also came through my mind. I haven't really given it much thought just because I didn't know if the game would allow it. But we have plenty of chapters left and maybe it will be something that we can do. This could be really good because the marginalia that we capture can tell us who the other marginalia are.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 Yes, I can see why capturing could be an advantage, but what motivation would the captured marginalia have for selling out the others? They must be given something in return or there would be no reason for them to give up their own faction. Just something to think about if this does become an element of the game.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 - I personally think capturing is a great idea. I don't think we need to go as far as getting the marginalia to sell out the others because as you say they would want something in return, but I do think we could get more valuable information like about their whole purpose/mission. This information could be just what we need to stop them.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I agree that capturing is a great alternative, and it has the potential to provide us with some great information that could help us take down more of the marginalia. And to answer @aplitstudent123 's question, their motivation for giving us the information would probably have to be their life. For example, if they give us good info, they can live and potentially become a guardian again? I dont know if that would be possible but its worth the thought.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think that capturing could be a good alternative, but I am agreeing with  @aplitstudent123 's point that there isn't much incentive for them to give us information. If you are right and we could release captured enemies then I think that possibly could be a solution. 

I also have a question, what exactly do you lose when you die? the game modules? the storylines? I just don't know exactly what is at stake

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@savhoisington I wondered this too. I know that dying is possible but it is unclear to me what happens to you after that. Is there any information you find out? Or are you just removed from all game activities and just go on as normal? I am curious about this and if anyone will die at some point that would be able to answer these questions.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 Perhaps it's left a mystery.  I think the point of this is to be smart I don't think there will be a  reward for failing to remain alive.  I think we only learn who killed us and how.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@savhoisington I think you just lose the storyline and the aspects of the game. It doesn't affect your grade at all so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just there so people play smart that's all. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I too haven't really grasped an incentive to really play the game. There aren't really points attached to it, so I haven't really tried to engage with it. But maybe when you die there is another storyline, who knows? I think that could be a cool concept, and be one of those things that are hidden from us until it actually happens. 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I've also wondered what's at stake... I imagine you would lose all the story lines at the beginning of the modules and maybe you would be unable to ask professors questions? Moreover, those that are working hard for points and items would lose a whole lot of valuable time that they put in order to get on top of things. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think we will just have to take this as far as we can and hope we can defend the authors, it's odd to think we are playing against and sabotaging our classmates.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking