Clear all

Canon Author's Book 👀

Page 1 / 2

chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

I know attacks and defense have died down quite a bit simply because we have no idea what authors are considered "canon". I came across this on canvas and it seems to contain just about every canon author to exist ( http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html ). I figured I would share it with others on here and a discussion on what it means to be considered a canon author. Looks like it uses western criteria to determine canon status. 

SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

This is INCREDIBLY helpful!! I have searched so many times for "list of western canon authors" and have never found anything like this.  I don't know what wizardry you pulled to find this but thank you!

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Thank you so much for this and thank you so much for making a forum about it. That way it can be seen by everyone. As far as the criteria goes for a canon author, I'm unsure as to what is needed to be considered canon. I often struggle when I try to pinpoint which authors are or aren't canon. Is there even any criteria in the first place? How is it decided upon?

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I find it really interesting that this is the basis for the game we're playing, but we've been discussing Asian philosophy lately. Even though Western philosophy is what we're immersed in, we're stepping outside of it even from the perspective of the game we're in. Maybe it's just so different of a basis for thought that including other authors would just be too out there? That's so fascinating, good work in finding this.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon - I agree! I find it so interesting that basically our whole class and assignments are based around these authors and their theories. I wonder if other AP lit class use this same curriculum or if the look at these authors in a different way than we have. I do appreciate however, the uniqueness of this course and am so grateful someone found a list of authors for me to look more in depth into.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I think this class is actually very unique, based on people I know who've taken AP Lit at other schools around the country. The interesting part of a literature exam is that you can't actually learn anything, you just practice skills in thinking and looking at things critically. So long as you read a few books for Q3, it doesn't matter what else you do. I think for that reason, a lot of other places with a Chisnell-free environment go at things a lot more rigidly, much like a regular ELA class. That's why I feel like this class has impacted me like no other, since it's so incredibly different from what you'd expect. Informed by these authors, I expect to see things in a different light than others I'll encounter in the future.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Thank you so much. I've had a hard time finding a list of the canon authors and I'm assuming many other people have had a hard time too. This is probably why the attacking and defending has decreased since the beginning of the year. Again, thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Thank you so much! One thing I've been wondering is if the dreaded college freshmen class would be as in depth on authors and their theories as this class? Honestly I doubt it but hopefully none of us will experience it to find out...

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon I agree with you.  An exam in math is to teach you an equation or something like that.  A history exam is to teach you about a certain time period and its affect on the world.  But in literature an exam is really testing your ability to study a work of literature and see how you can break it down.  We have been doing lots of this practice. 

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@persephone No problem! I highly doubt most freshman college courses will cover it in depth unless you're going into a program that is centered around this. I really do enjoy the breadth of the class though....

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@mangoman Yeah but in the classes you mentioned, there is a strict answer to what you learn. That is certainly not the case in AP Lit. If there's anything to take away from this course, its that there is no definitive or "right" way to extract meaning. I mean take a look at all the literary theories we learned this year. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot There's an issue reconciling that with the rest of the world though, since it really feels like this experience is fairly unique. We've looked at a number of theories that come from opposing viewpoints, and so we can tolerate accepting an idea for what it is, good and bad included. Everyone else who hasn't been in a space like this (especially in high school, that's real critical) probably has a much tougher time picking apart more complicated ideas. I don't want to make it sound like we're better than everyone else, but rather that as a whole, society has been trained not to probe into ideas too much.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I too am very grateful for the uniqueness of this class. I feel like we get so many perspectives on literally everything. Like obviously on novels and poems but also ideologies, philosophies, cultures and a lot more. Everything goes into some deep thought as well and I always enjoy discussions, especially on opinion, and I love that so many of these forums are based on that too. Im glad we have this platform as well to share things just like this canon list 

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon I completely agree. I would consider myself good at empathizing with/ understanding others' feelings, but also somewhat stubborn when it comes to opinions. I can understand others opinions but when it comes to me changing mine, that rarely happens lol. Until this year though, with all the theories and perspectives on anything in general have actually influenced my opinions a lot. I am not saying I have changed many of my opinions, but after this class it feels so much more natural to be able to change them and I am so glad I have experienced that

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington I think a lot of it was having the information presented all in the same style. For me, at least, it felt as though every new literary theory we were shown was "the best one," its flaws negligible. Then we'd progress to the next, and suddenly the old ideas would feel so outdated, and my worldview would expand. The theories are always represented by a legitimate advocate, so it never feels like you're supposed to feel one way or another, it's just an idea presented straight to you. It's definitely made me more understanding, even if I haven't changed much of my stances on anything either.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking