Notifications
Clear all

Canon Author Levels

Page 2 / 2

savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot You're definitely right, I do not think it should be that easy... that is a good point haha! I'm not sure where to find them, im stumped. I know some people have mentioned up looking up Western Canon Authors and lists come up, although short. There is a Wikipedia one of 26 authors

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

Like a lot of other people, I've also been wondering about the canon author levels, and how we level up too. I think for the authors we are supposed to figure it out. I honestly think that it might have something to do with how famous their work is? 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Like @savhoisington I also managed to find the list of TAs for end of theory, however I don't think that just because they are TAs mean they are part of the canon... For example, Carol Gilligan is on that list but she isn't part of the literary canon, so I am a bit hesitant to use that as a confirmation. If anyone else finds a more sure fire way to tell I'd love to hear it, and I'll ask Chiz about it to see if he lets us know anything regarding that. Until then, I'm just going to continue using the wikipedia list I found, even though it's probably not the best thing in the world, and nor does it include nearly enough authors in it. 

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz - I agree with your points on this. I'm curious to find out how these authors are ranked because it seems kind of subjective to me. How can point levels be placed on authors in a fair way? It can't be fair because these authors all have different works that are incomparable to one author. Who is to judge them based upon this and then related them through point values?

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz I agree that this is probably very subjective, and there is no "perfect way" to assign a level to the authors, but it is probably done the same way certain authors are universally regarded as "great" or "important". Take Homer for example: he has influenced western civilization a lot, so it's generally agreed upon that he should be a higher level than other authors that haven't made as much of an impact. These levels can probably be argued, but I think they are most likely based on the general agreement of how "important" an authors works have been.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

How come people like Dickens and Freud are so low level compared to other authors I've barely heard of? Going by the "enduring work" metric, you'd think the famous authors would be the most powerful, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My guess is that it's probably somehow judged on a scale related to the breadth of their library, but that's basically a shot in the dark. Arnold too, why is he only 15? It's very confusing.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I am quite sure that either as time goes on we will find a list or we will be clued in on the different authors. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was some hidden clue in a chapter of how to find all of the authors. I guess we will have to see how everything plays out!

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@a2m0n2 I agree. I feel that either when we hit a certain level, or reach a certain amount of points we will be exposed to some hints or maybe a list of these canon authors. This would be very helpful to know for future engages. Also, this could bring incentive to rise to the top of the leaderboard.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo, I agree, I was thinking that the levels would play a big role in finding out about all of the other authors. Another thing I thought was that maybe when we get to a certain chapter of the game the authors will be revealed regardless of your game level. For example after one of the chapters we graduated from the academy and were able to attack other players. So maybe something along these sorts, but I don't think we will know for a little while.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 I also wondered this and wondered at what point this would occur. I think the game has seemed to come to a bit of stand still in my opinion so I feel like their might be some shifts and changes in the near future. Maybe something that would correspond with beginning the second semester? I'm not sure. But I think it definitely would be an interesting twist if all the authors were revealed to all players.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@salmon Yeah, I noticed that also. I found it confusing so I've got zero clues as to what denotes. I think if you obtain a book though, you might be able to figure out what the levels are for each character but again, I have no idea at this point. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nicole I think this as well. It's going to be hard to assign certain levels or points to an author, as we would be essentially rating their works and philosophies when all of this is complex and honestly subjective. I don't think we could ever really assign them levels, unless we chose one single aspect to rate all of them on. Even then, I feel like it's still so subjective, as is a lot of stuff in literature. 

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz I think that you bring up an important idea that I haven't considered because I thought about it in the I think that what we see is relatively true but I think we can kinda see that the levels of the authors are inherently arbitarty because chisnell had gone and created them to go and use them. I feel like chisnell certainly has an opinion that is a greater part of the western canon and that we can come and see that it is there. I also think that chisnell created a large number of authors who are of mid-level importance to the western cannon and kinda just decided that he was gonna make their levels what they are.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I suppose that makes sense, if a lot of it's purely for the sake of game design and narrative formation. Since we as the students have been progressing through the ideas of historicism to modernism etc. perhaps the levels scale with some sort of relation to that. Like, the authors may be thematically related to a level such that a relevant author is a reasonable level at the time we reach a certain chapter. That's certainly good game design, but it would take some serious thinking to see if that's true, because it's absolutely just conjecture at this point.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon That is true I understand what you are saying maybe the authors that we need to be alive for the narrative is why their level is so high. Probably so like we couldn't go off and kill Carl Jung before he went and made his point in the narrative. So I think that we can go and see that is the case for some of the authors. I think that a lot of it is something to go and consider. I also that a lot of it is some of just a program which is something that so i get what you are saying 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking