Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Canon Author Levels  

Page 1 / 2

Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern
Topic starter  

So there is a current list running of all the authors that have been slain and what level they were. I feel like figuring out the levels of each of the authors will help us since we can help defend the lower level authors first rather than the big bois since they can handle themselves (ex. Homer is Lvl. 50 and no one is anywhere near that right now). If we look at Charles Dickens and Gustave Flaubert, they are both Lvl. 15. Looking at the dates of each of their works, they essentially wrote in the same time period. Perhaps literary eras may define what level each author is. I'm curious to hear other thoughts or theories on this topic.  

a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

This may be off-topic, but your point leads me to wonder what level our classes will end up with in the game and how much power this will lead us to obtain. I would assume that none of us are going to be able to reach 50, but is the power of each of our individual levels stronger that the professors? I'm excited to see how all plays out. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2, this is something that I have been thinking about too. After seeing that Homer was level 50 I found it almost impossible that any person in this class could reach that level. So I was curious if levels weighed more for students too. For example, a level 15 student would be equivalent to a level 30 author. Or do the marginalia really have to gang up on the higher level authors. I'm curious to see how this will all playout in the future.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

This question may have already been answered in class, but how do we know who is a literary canon author?  Do we just google that? Or is there a spot on canvas or this website?  And for the levels, I am not sure about that either.  Maybe we just have to know something about their works and we guess the level?

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

These are some good thoughts... I wonder if 50 is the cap as far as leveling goes. Also I think OPs idea of comparing time period to level. Another question I have though is where it says Shakespeare was slain it has a (2x) next to his name.. Does this mean he was killed twice? How would that even be possible. Also, to answer @snowyyeti 's question, I've just been googling the canon author list, but it is lacking. So if anyone has another method I would love to hear it!

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I know I saw a longgggg list somewhere, I think maybe in chapter 4 or 5? I can't remember whether the author's levels were included in the list or not, though.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti Nevermind, it wasn't as long as I had thought but when I looked recently I went to this class's roster and pulled down the drop down menu of 'roles' I hit TA. There there was 40 characters in EOT. The ones that are authors I am assuming are canon authors. I didn't help much but at least this is another way to find some! 

This could also be a strategic way to defend authors if these will. be the ones relevant to the class!

This post was modified 2 months ago by savhoisington

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern
Topic starter  

@xwing37 Hmm I don't think so really. We're able to reach level 50 in the game so why would there be a weighing factor? We haven't seen coordinated attacks from the Marginalia yet so we don't have an idea if they could truly bring down a high level author like Homer.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern
Topic starter  

@persephone There is a multitude of authors who wrote under the name Shakespeare so that is why it showed up as x2. Yeah, there really isn't much out there regarding a canon list so hopefully, we'll be able to figure it out soon. 

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern
Topic starter  

@savhoisington Are you sure all of them are canon authors? I find it hard to believe it would be this easy to find the list. I'm pretty sure Chisnell mentioned that the list would include levels so I'm not sure if the TA list is entirely correct. 

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think that the levels have to do with the authors who are the most Essential to western cannon so look at homer for example homer is lv 50  because he is one of the founding authors of western cannon because the Illad is one of the major texts of western civilization. so that the higher level the author is the most important the author is to western civilization so that respond to the power level. Maybe it is also because we haven’t encountered his text yet maybe because he is important so we can’t kill him yet

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

How exactly does leveling up work in this game? I know the higher number of points you have, the higher level, but how do you know when you are going to level up? Also, what is the max level that we could possibly reach in the game? 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo Below the game board there is a list of levels you can achieve with the amount of points the class has offered and the required points needed to enter that level. So unlike a videogame others might be used to playing you don't get a notification when you level up you just have to wait and see. 

And to address your question on max level, I'm assuming that there is a max level but we won't figure that out until the end of the year. Because there are thousands of more points to earn and with that new levels to look forward to. Though it is not related to the forum question, I am puzzled over the idea of the "in game items" I know that we have a specific amount of slots for these items that we earn during the game, but can we hold as many as we want or do we have a cap? Because say you were to do every assignment and quest. You would have a lot of items, how would you specify to the game master on which ones you want to keep or disregard?

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I also thought along the same lines as you with their importance to western civilization, but my one inquiry is always what decides this. Surely with Homer it makes sense that he is a greater level, but when it comes to the middle levels what is to decide who is of a higher rank? Surely it is not a perfect science. Maybe there is a way to alter the levels, possibly a matter of debate to determine if an author is truly deserving of their level or perhaps should be even higher?

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I understand how the levels work, but are we supposed to do our own research and guess the levels of canon authors? Or is there a list somewhere? Or are the authors we read authors of the western canon?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking