Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

What makes us different from a rock?  

Page 4 / 4

xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nicole, I disagree, I wouldn't say that not chewing up a blanket or going to the bathroom in the house would be considered id. That isn't a survival state of mind, before dogs were domesticated there was no one to tell them not to do anything, so if someone were to leave a blanket in the wild I'm sure they would've tore it up. I think a survival way of thinking would be eating, sleeping, killing, etc. But anything that the human has taught or made the animal do isn't relying on the id way of thinking. It's not a instinct to not tear up their owners favorite blanket, because if it wasn't for the owner punishing them for it then they wouldn't care about the blanket. They learn it from the owner training them and rewarding/praising them. And for where it lies with ego and superego I'm not too sure.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot Even in most systems of morality, I think we have a concept of free will. I mean the entire concept of free will comes from Christianity so I don't think we can say that we are mind slaves to morality. Along with that, I would also argue that many humans especially today that many humans are just slaves to their own desires without morality which can make their spirits free. I do agree that society wants to make you not human except I came to that as a different reason is that the lack of morality is what makes you less of the human. Think of the capitalistic lifestyle which plagues us today as we are more human with morality discredited. We are left purposeless all we are is a consumer who needs to buy products to feel validated. The point of this is that as I've been trying to say all along ¨freedom¨ is really just slavery to yourself, humans need purpose and morality is apart of that 

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 The id goes beyond survival necessities. (I know I said multiple times that the id is the survival part of the mind, but let me clarify.) The id is also all the wants and desires one has. The id satisfies wants and desires without rationalizing if it should do that. The dog wants to chew up the blanket, so it does. Id. Does the dog chew up a blanket because it thinks that is the right and moral thing to do? No, so it isn't a result of the superego. Does it chew the blanket because it rationally decides it makes sense to chew up the blanket? That the dog will benefit from chewing the blanket? No, so it can't be ego. It does it because it wants to. Therefore, this decision comes from the id.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I feel that we are almost born with this natural instinct to be free and to be independent.  I think for the majority of people you get comfortable living at home with a figure that takes care of you, right up until you get to an age where you are ready to be your own person.  I think we are all born with this feeling to want to be free, but are shaped and molded to be under someone else's idea of a person.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking