Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

What makes pieces of literature worth analyzing over others?  

Page 4 / 5

ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I agree with your idea and can totally see this when it comes to Invisible Man. Right now we are all writing essays that have to do with different motifs and ideas inside the book, each persons essay is going to be drastically different because each person is going to be looking at a different idea that was thrown out by the author. Which makes this novel really important to analyze because of its enormous amount of interpretations, but yet you don't find these until further into the essay? So that might add to the confusion of when to analyze a piece. 

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 It is really great to hear that buddy. But you shouldn't only limit yourself to one of his works. He is really a great author with in my opinion unmatched literary usage. But then again he isn't the only author in this world. So what maybe other authors may have different opinions than one but reading them should definitely 🤩 🤩 🤩 🤩 open up your mind.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think we do need to have objective standards to which can go and figure out which literature is valuable for analyzing. Some of the most important cultural significance and figuring out what the literature can tell us about a time peroid so this is an important thing to look at. Also another thing I think literature has to touch philosophical, political, or religious messaging so that is something i think is to be considered 

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I think objective standards by which to analyze literature is important, but I think subjective standards can be helpful as well. Yes, philosophical, religious, and political meanings in literature are important. But I think part of what makes literature worth analyzing and surviving through time is how it speaks to the reader through its philosophical, religious, and political meanings. And how can you really measure that objectively? Maybe you can, but that seems more in the realm of subjectivity to me.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon

I agree that having some kind of standards set up would make the sorting of literature. The thing that I would add to that is that almost all literature has a meaning of some kind. In order to write something, there has to be a reason to do so. Even if a writer chooses to not input a meaning, the text's meaning is the lack of meaning. So, the sorting standard for literature would have to be focusing on sorting more meaningful and less meaningful and the areas that are covered (like you mentioned philosophy, religion, etc).

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nicole

I fully agree with you that subjectivity is rooted in the sorting of literature. Everyone has their individual identities and perspectives built from their unique mixture of experiences. This means that any meaningful text has different interpretations and levels of meaning. Something meaningful about something I am inexperienced or uninterested in will bear little meaning to me individually in comparison to someone interested in that.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster The problem there is that any standards that exist can and will be violated for the sake of art. There's no way to sort everything, because by putting limitations on something, you are inviting a work to challenge them. Even if you still have a clear view about what's literature and what's not, sorting them becomes a nightmare as lines get blended and paths get crossed. It would have to be an impossibly large system, and at that point why not make it a system where every work you consider literature gets its own category for itself?

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I agree wholeheartedly. Ellison has a way with words that allows him to tackle so many topics but still create a piece that flows well together and still has some sort of cohesive message. Everything mentioned in the story is told in a way that is informative yet interesting, but each idea is very different. I think that's what is so beautiful by this piece.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon The cultural significance of literature during a time period can also help us explain decisions taken in that time period. Like literature and its influence in politics. Of course great movements and justice take root in literature which is another reason to analyze its true and its many perspectives.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@msar Great point! Literature gains more "clout" depending on the time period it's being read in. For example, a very new piece of literature may be extremely popular because it's related to the types of things people are interested in at that time. Literature can also gain or hold recognition years after being written, like the work of Shakespeare. It may receive the label of a classic. I really like your point regarding politics as well.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes literature may be less worth analyzing based on the interest. For example, literature can be more helpful/worth analyzing if you're doing something like a project related to the piece. It's all subjective.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine Yeah,The point you brought up about literature sometimes being relevant after some time it was written is the type of literature we are reading right now with The turn of the screw. This piece of literature wasn't specially popular when it came out. But with further understanding on mental health this novel became popular in society. Just another instance on how some pieces of literature are worth analyzing over others. It just so happens to be that.

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

@delphine Definitely! I think that there is no point into analyzing something that isn't helpful to you or others. It's basically a waste of time to do something that serves no purpose or isn't beneficial to a bigger goal. @jacksonvon brought up the idea of having a set of standards to decide whether something is worth our time to analyze. I saw several others mention cultural significance and individual experiences playing a role in that decision. That is important to acknowledge just because everyone has their own history and could be beneficial to others even if it isn't to you. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I agree a lot, Especially with books that I read a long time ago! I notice so many things, and interpret the book than I did when I was younger. I know some people don't like to re-read books sometimes, but I enjoy it. It feels like a new experience to me, and I can make new connections and interpretations. It then evolves my knowledge about that book, and helps me understand it better.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo - I think rereading novels again and even again is so worth it. You definitely don't pick up on everything the first time around and probably not even the second. I think that is just what is so great about literature is that there is always something new to be learned from it when analyzing it and it just comes in some many different forms that you can never really get bored. Rereading it allows you to as you mention make new connections and maybe see things differently than you did the first time around.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking