Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

The Reason to Annotate  

Page 6 / 8

MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@carlatortelli Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I agree with you.  The way I looked at text before a lot of these talks we have had was boring and right on the lines, not very in depth.  But I feel it's only because that's the only way I knew how to, now I feel like when I read certain lines in the text I have to go deeper and find some hidden meaning, it's quite fun to be honest.  I like finding hidden themes in text.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman Personally, annotating has been very helpful in the class as we read invisible man. Whenever I read, I always find so many things that I think would be interesting in class discussions. When Mr. Chisnell told us to follow a certain theme or image throughout the book, I thought this would be really difficult. As I have been annotating more, this has become a lot easier for me.

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I feel that annotation, no matter how much of a nuisance it can be, ultimately leads to a better understanding of what you’re reading. Annotating can help you separate ideas from the reading, and further digest those ideas. If you annotate a complex reading, pulling out key ideas and analyzing them, it will make for a much better understanding later on.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

With what we talked about today in class (11/20) I think it gives us even more of a reason to annotate our readings and passages.  I think what I am getting at is finding patterns in books and movies.  Like we talked about today, there is a constant theme in many action adventures, that make the story better.  I think by annotating we can pick up on this and many other themes and break them down.  Do any of you have an example of this?

ReplyQuote
TheBoulder
(@theboulder)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I can not think of a specific example to answer your question, but I can think of several vague ones. I try to annotate as much as I can, any paper in front of me. With so many assignments being online, sometimes it is frustrating to not be able to write on it! When I annotate books I understand the "big picture" much better than if I don't. In IM, I have been annotating everything and it helps me pick out themes, symbols, and archetypal characters or plot points. When I don't annotate, I get lost in the story that I don't see the "formula", which sometimes I enjoy more. In IM specifically I notice the similarity of characters within the book but also in stories, and the way Elliot structures the writing when he is showing change or similarity. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I agree. I think that now that we've spotted this pattern, it gives us more of a reason to annotate. We need to note how this pattern is shown in different literary pieces, and annotation can help us find these links to show the pattern. It gives us more incentive to annotate to better understand this pattern and its meanings. 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio, I agree. I used these tactics when I was reading Invisible Man. As Invisible Man is such a complex book with many different ideas to consider, annotating has been something that has really helped me to organize my thoughts. Having the ability to pull out key ideas directly from the text has helped me a lot in class discussions. 

ReplyQuote
DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I agree. I totally forgot about Mr. Chisnell's suggestion to focus on something specific as I read the book, and now I'm wishing I had. In books I have read in the past I kept annotations on sticky notes in the book, where I would just jot down ideas I had, and I think this is something I should be doing for most things I read from now on. I know that I am going to struggle to find quotes and symbols that happened early in Invisible Man, and I think if I had been annotating it as I read then I would have a much easier time on the essay we are going to have to write.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 sometimes I do feel like other people's thoughts can shape my own. I find this to be especially true when I am trying to gain a deeper perspective on meaning in the book. If another person shares their thoughts with me, I am likely to take them into consideration more often than not. This then leads me to understand the book in a variety of ways instead of just my own.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio I totally agree. If I had the option to annotate I would. It helps me understand what I am reading so much better, and helps me retain the information I am reading longer because I am actually engaging with the text. It is such a useful tool we have at our disposal, and it has made me such a better reader over the years.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

After this chapter, I have found annotating to be one of the most useful skills I have learned in literature. Going into the sonnet writing I was so lost and had literally no clue what I was doing. After annotating a few articles I read on how to write a sonnet, as well as annotating the sonnets provided by Chisnell, I was quite confident going into that writing. I have normally thought of annotating just being a skill that helped me understand a writing, but I never thought that it could be useful in teaching me a writing style as well. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I’m glad you agree. Annotation can prove to be a very useful tool when reading something that may otherwise be too complex. For me, when reading something like the poems we have in class, I feel the need to annotate because a lot of the words are structured together in a way that’s very hard for me to comprehend. So I feel like annotation can help in that sense, as it can string together yours and other people’s ideas in an effort to help you better understand the piece like you said. 

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio I agree, especially with the poems we have been reading some of the diction can make it hard to comprehend easily. I find annotation has helped me in the same way to break it up and understand the meaning behind each line. With poems it is very easy to overlook certain details because of the way they are set up. Also, another thing that helps with more complex pieces (not necessarily poems) is yo annotate, but then tie together your annotations with notes in a notebook. It may seem excessive for some pieces but if I am doing a project or essay on a complex piece I will definitely do this to get a map of notes out for brainstorming and processing that part

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington, I agree, I think annotation is important all the time but I mostly use it when I have to do a project or write something about what I read. The word usage and literary devices have been much more complex with pieces that I have seen this year and last year. They need more thought and work rather than just reading it for fun. So I've been annotating poems and passages and piecing together my annotations like you said. Because a lot of the time I can grasp a small paragraph but when I try to put it all together it all falls apart. So now I just annotate paragraph by paragraph and piece my annotations together rather than just the piece as a whole. But I definitely believe that annotating is going to become more and more important as our education reaches new levels.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gil I find it very interesting that you mentioned this! As I was reading IM, one of the previous readers of the copy I have wrote "Lucifer" next to Lucius' name. I just did a little bit of searching, and it appears the name Lucius and Lucifer were sort of synonyms for each other, both meaning "light" or "light-bringing". However, today "Lucifer" is used as a synonym for "devil." Anyway, I find it interesting that both people had the same thought after seeing Lucius' name, and they both thought it was important enough to write down! It makes me wonder if it was a topic for class discussion in past years. It's interesting to see what other people think when they read the same text. But what also intrigues me, is that they wrote "devil" and "Lucifer" probably as a negative comment toward Lucius, but it brought me to a whole different meaning of the name as I looked up what the two names mean!

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking