Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

The Reason to Annotate  

Page 5 / 8

aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@octavia I am also taking notes as I read IM in a notebook. I have a different page for each chapter that I also add to during class discussions. I think it will be helpful as we get farther in the book so I can look back on my notes for previous chapters to see patterns in my notes. I've highlighted different points I've seen throughout the book such as a reference to light. I also find it much easier to remember things when I write them down, so I think writing down my interpretations and thoughts of the book cause me to think about it more indepthly and organize my ideas.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 This is a really great strategy, especially since we will need extensive knowledge of this book in order to effectively discuss it's true meaning in class. I too have been taking notes on Invisible Man, although probably not as efficiently as I should be. Even reading this forum page is helpful in developing effective methods for annotating. I'm grateful we have all had the opportunity to discuss something like this. For those that may be wrestling with the idea of annotating and deciding if it would play out for them in a helpful way, this forum topic can be a great asset in developing strategies and learning of new ways to take in literature and comprehend any piece.

ReplyQuote
Sienna Muscat
(@siennamuscat742)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

@berryberry I agree! Being in AP Lang taught me many valuable tools, such as rhetoric, but I did not enjoy that we had to annotate. Although I did notice that I had a deeper understanding after annotating, there are plenty of students who don't benefit from that. Annotation did benefit me with class discussions, pointing out useful quotes, ideas, and vocabulary, but at the end of the day, it should have been optional or used as an extra credit opportunity. 

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine I like how the point of how annotating can help with your ACT and SAT. I usually think of annotating as a thing that can help you in the time being, but I never really thought of it as a skill that would advance into the way that you think on future assignments and how you assess them, especially regarding those 2 very important tests. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but I feel like learning how to annotate over the years has change the way that I look at writings now and helped me understand them better, even when I am not annotating. In a way it changed how I now percept information being given to me through text. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I agree. Since Invisible Man is a very complex book, with meaning hidden all over the place, it is very important to annotate stuff that you think might be useful in the future. Picking apart certain topics in the book helps a lot when trying to understand something. So even though annotations can be annoying, it is worth it, because they can immensely help with comprehension and understanding the text. When I annotate, I look for ideas that could be useful in the future, as well as giving myself notes about what is happening currently, and if there is anything important written about the situation. This is very helpful especially with a difficult book such as this one.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo - I agree with you. I've always thought annotating to be annoying and it feels like such a chore, however I have realized without it I struggle to really understand and grasp what I am reading especially with Invisible Man. Every page is packed with so many different ideas and meanings that annotating has helped me to really process and think out several important bits that I may have missed had I not been annotating.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

Coming back to this forum string I think we have learned a lot about the importance of annotating and why it can make a difference in our writing and reading.  Do you guys think that we have come further since then?? I'm Sure that we have picked up new skills, what are some you guys have come across? 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I feel like we picked up a lot from class and also from this forum board. From all the theories we looked into and talked about I feel like all of our views may have shifted in even the slightest bit. Before we talked theory I really didn't realize how many interpret a text. How to be biased/unbiased was a big topic. When it comes to annotations I feel like we are able to further distinguish what is more important to a piece. We see this when we have to pull out specific information and determine if it is important enough to include in our impromptus. The practice and theories, I feel, Greatly helped advance our thinking.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I agree it is a chore! I don't think that I have ever met a student who can openly say "I like to annotate". Thankfully in my Invisible man book there are some annotations that were previously left in there so it gives me an idea on what other students were thinking about. Because I can also agree that it is hard to annotate Invisible man just because of how complex the idea and story is, its confusing on what you write down because it all seems important.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I totally agree with this and actually see improvement in my annotating and how professional I guess I am getting with it. One way that I definitely see myself improving is how I can pull the important information and annotate very little but still have a good amount of information.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I also see improvement in my ability to annotate the text I am reading. Being able to pick out tiny details is very key in order to annotate successfully. I also find myself annotating a lot more because of the impromptus that we are reading, which has advanced my knowledge a ton. Now it is basically a habit, and it is hard to go through a poem without them. 

ReplyQuote
Gil
 Gil
(@gil)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

While I was reading Invisble Man, I came across some annotations a previous owner had written in. They made me think of this topic of forums that has been going on for a while. I have noticed that this previous owner honestly is not the best help...However, the annotations do provide a purpose, sometimes they give me a little laugh. For example, on page 207 it says, "'Lucius Brockway,'" The previous owner wrote in pencil underneath, pointing to the name, "to devil". I was a little perplexed. Were they thinking of "Lucifer"? Maybe I am wrong, I thought, so I looked up Lucius and devil. All that popped up was Harry Potter, sooo....who knows. It's interesting to see what the previous owner thought was noteable, for sometimes it makes me notice certain things more. Most of the time though, this past owner seems to like to just annotate to annotate. 

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gil - I really like how you brought this up. I feel like no two people are going to write the same exact annotations in a text, so it's interesting to see how others perceive the same text. Sometimes they can be wrong, so I wouldn't base my understanding off of their annotations as you mentioned, however I think reading other peoples annotations provides an insightful view on the text that you as a person may not have thought of.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 exactly. Two people making totally different annotations allow you to see the book in ways you didn't see it before and opens you to new thoughts. When I come across annotations in my book that someone else made, I try to read what they thought, to maybe help myself expand my knowledge about the situation. Annotations, in general, are very useful, and they have e been a big advantage for me, especially in this book.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo but do those previous thoughts that were offered in the book or text help shape yours? Because I find that when there are annotations given to me and I have to make my own the ones that are already there are basically what I say. Since those ideas are there when reading I kind of look over at them and just end up agreeing and that kind of forms my opinion for me. Is this the same for you or anyone else? I am curious to find out.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 8
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking