Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forum check complete for 10/23/20. 

At this point, you should have ~35 total posts for 100%. Remember that you can post up to 8x/week for up to 150% per week, if you need to catch up! On MiStar and elsewhere, know that any points beyond 105% total will be reduced to 105% (District limit on extra-credit!)

Forum Credits (these do roll over to MP2):

• 3+ credits: Nicole, octavia, persephone, xwing37
  • 2 credits: abuzz, ahayo, aplitstudent, bunkymoo, Carla Tortelli, MangoMan, savhoisington, SnowyYeti, username27, Delphine
  • 1 credit: AnonymousParrot, stella, Jackson Von Habsburg, A2MOEOM2
Maintenance Points:
  1. The first few times you write, your post may be kept in moderation for my review. After that, posts should publish immediately. I just want to be sure who is posting and the substantive value of the post for people new to the forums!
  2. All posts should now be visible on all AP Lit boards. You should be able to post without problems (if you have a working chisnell.com username!). If this is not the case, please write mesteven.chisnell@royaloakschools.org
  3.  Remember that you must be logged in to post! If you do not see your chisnell.com username in the upper right of the page, you are not logged in and your "anonymous" post will not be approved. Are you one of the people who did not get a post approved? Maybe this was the reason. Contact me!
Notifications
Clear all

The Reason to Annotate  

Page 4 / 5
  RSS

bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 6, 2020 9:55 am  

@delphine for me, excessive highlighting can be annoying, especially if you are the type of person to highlight everything. If I highlight, I like to keep it to 3 colors max. I stick to underlining for words I don't know, or terms I want to look up. More colors on the page for me can just cause confusion, so there has to be a clear plan of attack for how I want to annotate.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Disciple
October 6, 2020 5:10 pm  

I have always found annotating to be super helpful. AP Lang last year really brought me on board with annotating everything, and now I find it as being key to me understanding what a piece is about. I usually have a highlighter or two that mean different things depending on what i am reading (For example, maybe pink is main ideas and yellow is supporting details) and then I always have a pen or a pencil that I use to write my ideas on the side, which is what I find most helpful when looking back at what I have read. I used a lot of annotation techniques on all the standardized tests I have took and they have helped me a lot. My reading score and essay scores have increased now that I started annotating so I think it's a super useful skill!

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Disciple
October 6, 2020 5:14 pm  

@siennamuscat742 My Invisible Man book is also annotated and I think it is super helpful. There is a lot of underlining and writing in mine, which I really like because there are definitely some things I would have missed if I wasn't paying attention to them because they were underlined. IM has a lot of patterns and underlying meanings that I don't always pick up on, but since there is so many annotations, someone tends of have pointed each of the things out. I enjoy reading the little notes people left as they read because a lot of times they interpreted something different than I did, so it's interesting to compare thoughts. Also, my book has a lot of questions written in it than others have answered and I have begun to answer a few. I think that is the coolest part because the book is growing and having outside conversations overtime.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Topics
October 6, 2020 5:55 pm  

@bunkymoo, this is definitely true. After taking classes like these I've found myself analyzing pieces in a much different way. During my ACT I was underlining stuff that helped me piece together the meaning. I think this class has definitely changed my way of annotating. Before I never really analyzed with a purpose, I kind of just underlined stuff that I thought was important and that was it. This never really benefited in the long run. Now I annotate to find the meaning of the passage. So after I've finished the passage I come back and look at my annotations and try to piece together what it's trying to portray, which definitely helps on the questions you have to answer on it.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 9, 2020 9:30 pm  

@xwing37 I think this is a great point to bring up about just annotating and annotating with a purpose. I agree with this because it happened to me as well. When I first started annotating, it was confusing and hard to understand why they were important when I would annotate random things and hoped they'd piece together somehow. But as I took more advanced english classes such as this one, I'd look for the meaning and annotate where the pieces in the writing show the meaning. 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 9, 2020 11:24 pm  

My copy of "Invisible Man" is pretty marked up. While I haven't found anything super helpful yet, I've seen some interesting things. As Mr. Chisnell mentioned, past annotations can help future readers, and in my book, the annotations have at least made me think about the est a little differently. I normally enjoy annotating, but I read farther in "Invisible Man" I think annotating might be useful. Especially after talking in class about the themes that carry throughout the whole book. 

ReplyQuote
looneylibra
(@curtis)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 15, 2020 4:26 pm  

@bunkymoo Yes! Invisible Man is quite complex, so when reading and being able to see other peoples notes and important findings it allows me to find a way deeper meaning than I would have found on my own. I hope that in future readings I am able to find other books with the annotations of people other than myself both in and outside of school so I can find any ideas possible even if they are not my own. Annotating is, to me at least, one of the best strategies to use when analyzing any literature. 

ReplyQuote
berryberrystrawberry
(@berryberry)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 16, 2020 8:33 pm  

I'm a person who doesn't find annotating very helpful but I do see why people do it. It can be used to help you keep track of points that interested you or for you to question the piece you're reading. 

ReplyQuote
berryberrystrawberry
(@berryberry)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 16, 2020 8:36 pm  

One thing I didn't enjoy about AP lang was that annotating was mandatory. My train of thinking wasn't helped by annotating it took me out of the moment when I was reading and when I underlined I never cared about what I underlined. Annotating is more for the people who want to point stuff out for later and use it in a conversation. Whereas I don't really use it because I can recall without the need to annotate. I can say that annotating is helpful for pieces that confuse you or have confusing language.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 10:50 pm  

@berryberry I do agree with you that annotating in AP Land was brutal but I feel like it was needed in order to understand the class. We weren't asked to think deeply we were just simply asked to point out what the author did in order to convey his point. But now in AP lit we are asked to think deeply about what we are reading it gets engraved in our head and we don't just ignore the piece. I feel now that I thoughrouly enjoy the pieces of literature now.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 10:53 pm  

@stella I am in a very similar situation were my copy of the book is annotated but the annotations are not very helpful. But I have done as you have. Those annotations that are wrong have helped me view the book from a different point of view. This makes me think that maybe the student before me was looking at the book with at different theory other than the one we are looking over at this very moment. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 21, 2020 9:59 pm  

@berryberry I think it's interesting how you pointed out the conversational piece to annotation. I hadn't thought about that before. Honestly, I'd have to say I disagree with you on the fact that that's the only place it can be used in. I personally have used annotation to help me think and process better, but I understand that this process won't work the same for everyone. 

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 21, 2020 11:33 pm  

As I get farther into Invisible Man, I have appreciated my early efforts to annotate from the start. I am taking notes in a notebook so I can draw on the key aspects of the story. I feel this will help me as I keep reading to help me find common themes and different developments of characters throughout the story. I find it intriguing how I used to not annotate long novels. I know this will pay off in helping me write the essay for Invisible Man. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 22, 2020 6:35 pm  

@gardella I think annotation with a novel as dense as invisible man can really open up ones eyes to how important annotation is. I know a lot of people who haven't annotated before this book and are just not realizing how it can help them immensely. Dense topics sometimes need annotation to pull apart all the aspects that make it whole, and I think with IM this is essential.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Topics
October 22, 2020 7:49 pm  

@berryberry, I get why you think annotating isn't very helpful and pointless. It can be horrible to annotate super long writings, especially in AP lang. I was wondering what you do to remember different things to talk about, or just things that stood out to you? Do you have something that you personally do, or do you just merely remember what you want to discuss?

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking