Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Prose Response/Analysis  

Page 2 / 2

Gil
 Gil
(@gil)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I had mixed feelings about this impromptu, for some reason it felt harder than the others when I started writing it. I'm not sure why...Maybe it was because I felt I had figured out how to write the other types of questions we had been working on, so this one felt like a little out of place. The poem was more difficult for me to understand than the others. I mean I did eventually understand it, but it took me longer than the other poems! So maybe it wasn't exactly the question that threw me off, but it was poem. What did everyone else think? Did anyone have a slightly harder time interpreting the poem OR do you think it was the question?

Oh! I see @persephone agrees! Haha! I was also confused about why Jude was against Sue wanting to end her marriage. I was thinking, what's wrong with her telling him that? But thinking back to the time, marriage was a much more set in stone kind of thing back then, divorce was unheard of. Thinking of it like this makes more sense to me, however why is so frowned upon that she confides in him? I did not understand that.

After a few reads of the poem, I did eventually like how the rabbit was symbolic of Sue. Whether she fought the marriage or not, it would end in misery (super depressing, but great).

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gil, I agree that this prompt was much harder then the past ones. I couldn't put my finger on it at first but I realized that it was because this one asked much more of us. It asked to describe the nature of their relationship AND the predicament that they were in using a device. I think this made it more difficult because there were multiple aspects that we had to consider. This was also a prompt from a book, which is something that we haven't done in a while. The past 2-3 impromptus have been on poems. But after multiple reads I began to understand the prompt. I too found the symbolism with the rabbit trap very interesting. 

ReplyQuote
DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I totally agree. The prompt asked us to do two things using language that felt pretty subjective to me. Another thing that I think changed the way I thought about this prompt was that I don't think prose contains the same density of meaning that poetry can. In my experience, poetry can take much greater liberties as far as grammatical conventions go, and can use this to add metaphors and other devices in a way that prose often can't. Normally in poetry this leads to me having a lot of "stuff" to talk about and respond to the prompt with, however, because the story was prose, I had to think much more about the meanings behind the text as a whole, which I found much more challenging.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think this was definitely one of the more harder essay to write because you definitely need to take more time with the Victorian language. I know at least for me I needed to go and read the piece a couple of time to fully understand what was going on. Another thing that is important to look at is the piece drops us in the middle of the novel which leaves out a lot of important context which can give us more information which can let us know more about the relationship between Jude and sue so that we had to go and interrupt the ideas. I also felt like it was hard to read other people’s and I had to read everyone else’s essay a couple of time so that I could grade people’s essays 

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio I think this was my favorite so far as well. To me, I think the symbolism in this piece was amazing. I, personally, really love using and observing symbolism. We have read a lot with symbolism, yes, but this piece seemed to have a perfect parallel. The rabbit story lined up perfectly. The rabbit was Sue, with two options a quick 'hunter's death' (leaving her marriage and being outcasted by her society), or a slow, trapped death (staying with her husband unhappily). And even more of a parallel, adding Jude to the situation as the hunter. He has the power to decide which way the rabbit dies (or what type of disappointment Sue will live through). I just really appreciate how every little detail in this is important

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon Regarding your latter sentiments I think that the openness of this particular passage made people interpret it so vastly. We had a discussion in class regarding the disadvantage of prior knowledge for this impromptu because of the specificities of answering the prompt given. I as well had to go back and truly digest what others were writing about because, as we heard in class, many people had differing interpretations of the symbolism of the rabbit trap compared to Jude and Sue. Whether it was Jude's connection with religion, Sue's conflict of a distressed marriage, or the relationship between the two, there seems to be multiple interpretations of the passage given.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I definitely think the prose prompt is a little more difficult than the others. However, we have also had less practice with it. We have written like 2 or 3 poetry impromptus and I'm not sure if it's just me, but they seem to become easier to write each one we get. I too struggled with this first prose, but I also struggled with the first poetry impromptu too. I believe it will get a little bit easier overtime.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gil I think the answer to your question of why Sue can't confide in Jude is the same as the answer to your question of why Sue can't get a divorce: It's a mindset of the time! At the time in which this takes place, it probably (based on the text) wasn't acceptable for Sue, a married woman, to confide in Jude, a married man. Just another thing that is (for lack of a better term) "taboo" for the time. Also, religion! The idea of divorce being wrong is a religious belief. And they state that Sue cannot confide in Jude because of his religion, so I think these two restraints on their actions are very connected to each other.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I think a big part of that is that prose tends to read as more straightforward. With poetry it's easy to look for hidden meanings and obscure imagery since that's just how we tend to think, but with prose it's way easier to fall into the trap of only reading for the plot. It almost seems like the meaning is harder to locate but a lot more deep, since everything really does line up so much more perfectly than some poems.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio, I agree; the structure of this piece was beneficial when trying to interpret it. In my opinion, the content of this passage was easier to interpret, as well. As you said, the piece presented a dilemma between two characters, a type of story we are more familiar with, as opposed to poetry, which at times can be hard to understand. This made it easier for me to identify the passage's main idea and expand on it in my impromptu. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking