Notifications
Clear all

How Does Jude Feel About Sue?

Page 2 / 3

ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@jacksonvon I agree that Jude is uneasy about Sue, but I think that there is evidence that Jude has feelings for Sue and even Sue showing those same feelings. There was a quote near the end of the excerpt where Sue is speaking, and during this dialogue she talks about her time period and how she doesn't like it and how she wishes people were more accepting, and how if future generations looks back what will they think. Here I think that two things could be happening, for one she could be talking about how women being trapped after they get married is unfair and they deserve more rights, or she has hinted at an affair that she is having with Jude and how they might look back on it and be disgusted. Because shortly after Jude had spoke in a "so what" tone.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

Jude is most certainly uneasy about sue and this may be given due to a number of reasons but not excluding, the age gap, their gender representation in society, thier different livelihoods, etc. They are both in an uncomfortable relationship which most likely neither one of them wanted. Sue towards the end of the story is open to jude about her limited say in marriage. She is tired of being controlled by jude and thier ultimate life goals are drastically different from each other therfore leaving them in an uncomfortable situation. A quite ironic one actually because they say they both want the best for each other yet they do little to nothing to make each other happy.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 There are definitely many subtle hints in the text that make me infer that Jude and Sue are in fact in love. The intimacy of them meeting at the window to Jude wanting Sue to be happy despite his religious beliefs, I feel that Jude is willing to take a risk to be with the one he loves. With what some have previously stated, it is their differing opinions on whether they should be together or not that is the greatest predicament. Sue seems to be encapsulating Gilligan's psychology of women in that they aim to please others. She care about what society thinks of her and with already being in a marriage it would go against all customs and traditions to leave and be with Jude. With Jude's line of wishing Sue was happy no matter what happens to him, it seems that he is willing to risk his relationship with religion to be with his one true love. 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@carlatortelli The relationship of each of them to the rabbit trap is definitely evident throughout the piece. I believe that they both have romantic feelings towards one another but are each in their own trap, preventing them from being with one another. Jude is religious, and therefore this is a "mortal sin" for him. Sue is unhappily in a marriage, but is trapped because leaving would cause society to frown upon her actions. The story of the rabbit explains how that if a rabbit tries to escape, it will be wounded so badly that it will soon die. The reason I believe Jude reciprocates Sue's feelings for him is because he said "I want you to be happy, whatever I may be". This quote demonstrates that not only does he want Sue to be happy, but he is willing to put his happiness aside for her. This shows that he is willing to leave his own trap in order to offer her comfort, even though he knows the repercussions for leaving the trap. This sort of sacrifice is only done out of love for someone.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@msar I'm a little confused. Sue talks about her marriage in the passage, are you saying that she is married to Jude? You state that Sue is being controlled by Jude, but I'm not sure how that is so. I think the passage was conveying that Sue is being controlled by her marriage and society, and I read her ranting as trying to relieve some of her worries be expressing them to Jude. Also, you claim that they both say they want the best for each other, but they do little to make the other happy, but do you think they are able to make the other happy? I think Sue was fairly clear in saying that she is trapped in a marriage she cannot leave, so that would make her unable to do anything to make Jude happy. And similarly, Jude is unable to be Sue's confidant and provide consolation because his religious doctrines prohibit him from doing so.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@msar In your post did you mean that Jude and Sue are married to one another? I interpreted this a bit differently. I thought that each of their unhappiness stemmed from the fact that they could not be together and that they were trapped from one another. You mentioned that Sue opened up to Jude, which I believed to be almost out of desperation of Sue wanting to get out of her marriage and longing to be with Jude in an ideal world. However, they both knew this would not work due to society's norms. Also, you said she is tired of being controlled by Jude, how do you think he is controlling her? I interpreted it as she was coming to him with a problem and he was giving her his support, rather than control. I am interested in further understanding your interpretation of this piece.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I agree with your interpretation of Jude and Sue. I don't think they were married but I believe that they wanted to be together. But Sue was stuck in a relationship that she didn't want to be in, and like you said Jude was there for her. I believe she wanted to be with Jude because Jude has always been there for her. We see one example of Jude listening to her outside and he said that he would do anything to make her happy. Sue wanted someone who is willing to do anything to make sure she is happy and maybe she would return the same to Jude. They both wanted to be together but society and their personal situations are preventing them from doing so.

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

@msar I agree with everything you said. Especially at the end where you mentioned how they both say they want the best for each other, yet do nothing to make each other happy.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 Yes, but who was more wanting to be with who?  I think Jude was in a desperate situation where he wanted to use his own feelings of gloom and loneliness to make Sue feel bad for him and show him attention he wanted.  In doing so I believe Sue developed artificial intimate feelings for Jude, because of this manipulation that was being conducted.  After all she was a married woman.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman - I have to disagree. I think it was the other way around. Sue is feeling regretful about her marriage that she so ignorantly rushed into while also developing feelings for Jude. I think she was tempting Jude by confiding in him. It puts him in a compromised situation. Being a religious man, he is faced with a choice now knowing that Sue's marriage is going south to either choose to just be her friend or express his feelings for her. No man at the time this was written, is a confidant to a woman for no reason. He wants to be close to her because of his feelings and Sue knows this so she tells him about her marriage, so that when Jude acts upon his feelings her intimate feelings for Jude can be fulfilled at the same time.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@mangoman I am a little confused by your concluding statement: "After all she was a married woman." Are you saying that she cannot have genuine feelings for Jude because she is married? I don't think this is the case at all. The whole point of Sue's rant is that she wishes she wasn't married because she doesn't love the man whom she married. The ability to have genuine feelings for others doesn't magically disappear when one gets married--especially when one does not love the person he or she married! As for the manipulation, I don't quite agree with you on that either. Granted, it's been a few weeks since we did this impromptu, but I don't recall what Jude may have done that was manipulative. Sue was the bolder of the two in expressing her feelings, even if she was a little ashamed or wary of them at the same time. Whereas I feel like Jude was just kind of... there.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I honestly think its the other way around. Sue wasn't being manipulated by Jude, but Jude was being sought out by Sue. It seemed that Sue was more connected with their relationship than Jude was. She was in an unhappy marriage and seemed to confide in Jude more than he felt the need to confide in her. 

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

@mangoman I disagree. In the story, Sue was the one that was being much more open about her feelings for Jude, as opposed to the other way around. Sue was the one who called Jude dear, and Sue was the one who did most of the talking in their conversation. I didn't see anything from Jude that made me feel that he was trying to get some sort of pity from Sue, and it seemed that they had mutual feelings and respect for each other. I think that Jude and Sue are just a couple that was unfortunately separated.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber After scrolling through this forum topic for a bit I decided to look up a little summary of the whole story. Sue's marriage was actually due to Jude's old fling. Jude's girlfriend said she was pregnant with his baby, which he thought to be true. I think they got married and that what set off Sue to marry the guy she was a little involved with instead of addressing things with Jude. Basically they both ignored their love for each other due to situations and assumptions that could have been avoided with some communication. So then we see that Sue and Jude feel trapped in their current situation, bringing us back to the original prompt. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I kindly disagree. I agree that Jude has a more reluctant and passive reaction towards the situation between their love, but I don’t think that entails that he doesn’t feel the same way. It’s obvious he feels the same way, as it’s keeping him up at night and he can’t stop thinking about her. This isn’t just because she’s annoying him or pressuring him into this, or else he would insinuate that. However, he doesn’t, and he otherwise describes it as something he can’t stop thinking about. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking