Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Freud and Friends  

Page 2 / 2

DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I agree that the categorizing of people's emotions can be strange, especially because generalizations must be made at some point simply because of how complex people are, but I think that studying each other "like lab rats" as you put it can be useful.  By objectively looking at how people act similarly to how we would look at lab rats we can better understand why people act in certain ways. If we did not study people so objectively, there would be a risk of psychologists bringing their own emotions or experiences into their analysis, which would change the results of how we study others.

ReplyQuote
TheBoulder
(@theboulder)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington I think you are right, Freud's theories do have some truth to them. To totally disregard them would be irresponsible. His ideas of Id, Ego, and Superego have lasted for so long and have resonated in so many communities. I am quite doubtful of all of his sexually desired theories, but there must be some truth to them. I think that as time goes on new psychologists will be able to build off Freud's ideas. 

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon

I completely agree that there are some ideas that are being suggested that are more than due for pushback. One thing that I most certainly find it important for all of us to consider is that there are a multitude of different theories regarding both literature and the human condition out there, and that you are not obligated to latch onto the first ones that we are exposed to in class. You do not need to feel forced to fabricate an opinion without understanding more schools of thought. I think that although Freud has many valid points, there are indeed many that can receive criticism that is completely valid. I hope that when debating this, that people are considering the circumstances of their understanding.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

For this activity I looked more into what Kegan was all about.

CDT or Constructive Developmental Theory stood out to me when reflecting on Mr. Norton. This theory implies reaching higher levels of cognitive development. With these stages we see individuals develop new perspectives and a more mature way of thinking, thus allowing them to approach the thought of being open minded and the thought of conflict in a more constructive way. The lack of advancement through the developmental stages, can result in a more self centered and narrow worldview, an inability to deal with conflict and psychological distress. Out of five stages, someone at their fourth stage is able to step back far enough from their surroundings to generate a personal authority on which to make decisions and evaluate claims. Kegan’s third stage possesses a “socialized mind”, meaning they shape their identities based on the guiding principles defined by people and institutions they hold in high status.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

When connecting Mr. Norton to Kegan's theory I felt as though Mr. Norton stopped at stage three, never quite reaching stages four or five. We can assume Norton grew up in a fairly well off household, I would say a high middle or high class upbringing. These times allude to those households holding more conservitive views then maybe a middle class household most of the time. The way he takes on IM’s life/ situation as his “destiny” might stem from his upbringing and who he looked up to. “He had a hand in your destiny. Yes, perhaps that is what I mean. I had a feeling that your people were somehow connected with my destiny.” (pg. 41) They may have put themselves above those of African American descent and possibly the lower class. This may give Mr. Norton that more narrowed in worldview. As he says that IM’s life and others are his destiny, with this we can see that self centered worldview. We see the inability to deal with conflict following the Trueblood’s visit all the way to The Golden Day. We see that he still attaches himself to his surroundings and his upbringing, he has not generated the ability to create a personal authority and has not been able to somewhat step back from society. As someone goes through these orders of the mind, concepts that were once in the subconscious transition into the conscious, and then in turn starts up a change in the way that someone perceives themselves and their relation to others. I diagnosis Mr. Norton with a lack of development in relation to the Constructive Developmental theory.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gil I don't mean to say that our sexual desires no longer exist, but rather that their repression is no longer the focal point of our drives. This is just a thought, but I think that we as a society have "moved past" there, or at least we've come into greater problems. Instead of being beholden to our basest instincts, I think, at least the majority of us, we've become more driven by our repression of higher urges like greed and the like. Not to say that Freud is outdated, but society and its thinking has moved forward to the point that his ideas no longer work completely at face-value.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking