Last Post Update:  May 8

Posting is now closed for the year!

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: abuzz, xwing37, aplitstudent123, MangoMan,
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  -- 
  • 1 Week of Credit: Nikki, savhoisington, Nicole, Persephone
Notifications
Clear all

Changing of Opinions: When is it necessary?

Page 1 / 6

Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

As I've been reading old threads from back when we started this class, I've noticed lots and lots of people changing their opinions/mindsets as new people responded! This is so awesome and really encouraged me to continue questioning literature and concepts in order to have an opinion that 1. I truly believe and 2. is backed up by the most factual evidence. If you wish, I'd like to hear the opinions of everyone regarding this topic. Do you feel that it's beneficial to be constantly changing opinions? What are some cases (this class specific or not) that you felt it was absolutely necessary to change your opinion? I think this is really relevant to our class due to the fact that we are constantly being questioned by Mr. Chisnell and each other in class. I personally felt this happen to me in today's discussion regarding Turn of the Screw. My outlook on the governess' feelings towards Miles was totally and completely changed, and I began noticing things that I didn't the first time reading the book. Anyone else have any examples?

xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think changing your opinion is important as new ideas develop around you. For example, we aren't going to base our scientific findings off of what scientists from the 1800's thought. We are going to use our modern ideas and instruments in order to draw a conclusion. But to answer your question, I think that we should change our minds on something when new evidence overrides the old evidence. I think facts are super important because it would be ignorant to just change your idea merely because you didn't like the original one. I personally tend to change my mind when I'm pointed in a new direction from new evidence.

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
looneylibra
(@curtis)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

I think change of opinions is natural as we learn more about our surroundings. A lot of the time I enjoy thinking that my opinion is the correct one until I am presented with reasons why that is actually not the case.  It's just part of learning and growing as people and as a whole society. If we are not open to any opinions other than our own then the world would be very isolated and small. Changing ones opinion leads to collaboration among people, it starts conversations and promotes argument good and bad. I think it is not even something we can try to fight as it just happens either through research or just really thinking about your own ideas. 

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think it is a great thing to be open-minded and willing to change your opinion on a topic. In most instances I think we come up with an opinion without taking into consideration additional factors and information. An example for me would be my change in opinion of Dr. Bledsoe in Invisible Man. Initially I thought he was a great person but as I got further and further into the book my opinion completely altered. In that scenario, I was kinda thrown back due to the complete reversal of my thoughts. However, I was happy and now satisfied that I had an educated opinion. 

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gardella - I agree with you. I think this goes hand in hand that people often make snap judgments about things and this opinion is often wrong and or skewed. I think the best policy is to be flexible and open-minded as more information comes out and is put into your perspective. I think that allowing your opinion to change after you have all of the facts is a good thing. 

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

In my opinion being open minded is a very handy trait to have. In this everchanging world one is sacrifices a lot when the refuse to adapt. But things don't change from one day to the other, so having an excessively fluid mind might hurt oneself. Not being able to form your own opinion is what makes one unique. So changing of opinion is necessary but not as often as one might think. It's a process when you change opinions.

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@msar I agree. Being close minded can be bad in a lot of ways. I personally dont know how you can succeed unless you are open minded. Being open to suggestions and new ideas is what helps us grow, and advance our minds. If we are constantly thinking the same thing, and never changing our opinion or thought, we will be never succeed and grow. Yes having your own opinion is amazing, but at least hear our others opinions, and maybe you can learn something. Even if you don't agree, at least listen.

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

Like other people have said, open-mindedness is a good thing! I feel like if you keep a closed mind you will never fully experience something. Like you, my thoughts on the Governess' feelings towards Miles also changed during a class discussion. The more we dive into it, the more obvious it becomes, too. 

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
TheBoulder
(@theboulder)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Like everyone said, I think one of the most valuable traits to have is being open-minded. It applies to everything in life, but in this case for our class, I find that most of the time, I don't understand many parts of what we discuss. But other people do, and they help me understand what is actually right, and I can figure out why I came to the conclusion I did. Also, sometimes I don't change my opinion and I still think I am right which is fair to... I just have to make sure I actually considered the alternative. I think whenever there is new information, like @curtis said, it is vital to bring a open mind to start the conversation!

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I agree with everyone here that open mindedness is important in any situation but I think that there are times to change opinions and when not to.  For example, if you're talking to your friend about politics and your friend is very opinionated on the topic and knows a lot about it, that is no reason to just agree with them.  I feel like it happen too often that people just blindly change their opinions or take others opinions and I think that this is a dangerous thing to do and is not a good trait to pickup. 

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think that changing opinions is great! That being said, I think it is counterproductive for a person to change their opinion solely because someone disagrees with them. I believe it is very important to educate yourself constantly and do what you believe is right, rather than changing opinions for the sake of others. However I'm seeing a lot of positive opinion changes within this class rather than negative which is great!

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

One thing I forgot to mention; I also believe coming into a conversation with an open mind is probably the most important thing! Otherwise rather than being a conversation, it generally changes into an argument which doesn't really benefit anyone. Adaptability in society is very important as well as standards change and education becomes more readily available etc. etc.

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone - I really like that you brought up this. I think having an open mind going into every conversation. I think this is especially important in the times that we are living in with political tensions so high. If both parties of the conversation  both don't have an open-mind or aren't willing to discuss something that they don't agree with, then as you say the conversation becomes an argument and that doesn't benefit either party.

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I feel that changing your opinions every now and then is inevitable. It has to do with your growth as an individual. When we started these forums at the beginning of the school year, our opinions could have changed due to the things around us impacting us since then. I feel that change and growth can happen no matter the length of time, even if it was something you changed your mind about yesterday. Change is inevitable and it in turn results in the changing of our mindsets. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I agree with this. Entering a conversation with an open mind can only result in a possible change of opinions. If someone were to come into a conversation with a closed mindset, that stubbornness to accept a different opinion can't result in a possibility of your opinion changing. This can relate to current events, as people perceive one side of politics as one way and go into political discussion with a closed mindset most of the time. I even catch myself doing this, as I'll predetermine the credibility of someone due to their political party. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking