Clear all

The May Exam

Page 1 / 6

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

Hey everyone! With the May exam coming up, I figured it could be helpful to start a thread about things that have helped or not helped us, and maybe even drop some resources to help our fellow classmates!

Starting off, while I first hated writing a bunch of impromptus, I now appreciate them immensely because I feel like I'm a much better writer now. Same goes for the MC practice quizzes, from the start of the year to now I think I went from a 10 point average to a 20 haha. I've also used Kahn Academy, but only a little bit, but it seems promising! What about you guys?

aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

I have found a lot of success with the impromptus too! I like that they are the exact way questions will be set up on the exam. For me personally, I like to hold myself to a similar time limit as the Exam so that I am comfortable with the pace and timing when it is test day. Then, once I have my draft written, I go back over it to see what I could have done better and I reword and edit some things. This process has really helped me because as I have done more and more impromptus, I have had to make less and less edits because I have learned from my past ones. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I for sure think the impromptus and the MC poetry practices helped out a lot. Though at first I disliked them, I think they helped me get into an AP mindset and really prepare. The more impromptus I have done, the more quick I am with my thinking and analysis when it comes to literature. Same with the MC practices - I am able to pick things out of a reading that I used to gloss over. Overall, analysis and picking out both details and the overall themes and aspects have both improved for me through these exercises. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I agree, the impromptus have been super nice and have taught me a lot. At first I couldn't stand them and I felt like they were super difficult, but now I actually really enjoy them and I understand why Chisnell gives us so many. I think they give us a really good example of what the test is going to look like and it's even better to follow a similar time frame to the test like you said. Without the impromptus I probably would've been a lot more surprised on the exam and I probably won't do as well.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I agree. The impromptus at first felt less like practice and more dreadful, but now I realize I am so much more prepared, the time especially is much less daunting. Not only has it given me practice, but they also really help me gage where I'm at. I want to go back to my past impromptus and start to analyze which types of prompts I may need a bit extra practice in, that will be beneficial to me

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I think the MC questions have been really helpful for the practice, especially having not taken a standardized test in well over a year I am SO grateful to have had these opportunities. For me, the most helpful part is the explanations on why certain answers are right and wrong. I feel like I have developed a quiz-taking mindset from all of those, like I am thinking like a test grader lol

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington as much as a despise those MC practices because I struggle with them, I do like them because I think that they are incredibly helpful.  Its nice being able to have those MC practices right in canvas with all of our other work and not having to go to college board or anything to find them.  Since the beginning of the year to now, my scores have gone up a solid 10 points which I am very happy about and gives me more confidence for May.  

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I agree witchu for sure.  The impromptus in the beginning I dreaded.  I hated doing them but the more I did them, the more I realized how much it was helping me to dissect and write effective essays on the topics given.  Not only the writing helped me, but reading other peoples on elireview also helped me because I could see how everyone else was framing their essays too. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti, I agree, I feel like when they are right here it's much more convenient. I've always had a hard time finding practices on college board and I feel like their website can be a little confusing. It's a super nice resource to have when trying to study for the exam. I personally haven't done many of them but with the exam coming up soon I'm going to start doing more.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

Though I'm not participating in the exam in May I can still think of a few things that have would've helped me if I was taking it. Firstly the Impromptus, near the start of the year I was just using these for points to try and meet the denominator but the last couple we did I payed a little more attention towards as really that's all the practice we would have with the writing when it came to the exam, so looking back on those and finding your strengths and weaknesses I would say is important. I believe that I read that someone else used Khan academy, for my past AP classes I have used this resource and it has been more than helpful. They do a great job with offering tips and content when it comes to a class like this.    

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@snowyyeti That's a really good point that I didn't even think of but absolutely helped me. Reading others' impromptus gave me an outsider perspective on the grader and allowed me to also realize how to make my own writing better. I hope that we will have a few more impromptus soon because I feel like we have gone a decent amount of time without them.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I have found myself becoming thankful for the many practice impromptus that we have done over this school year. With the exam coming up, and the impromptus that are on it, I feel much more prepared to take the exam than if we had not done them or only had a few. The multiple choice practices do act in a similar way. The practice, although I didn't like doing it at the time, has managed to hone my writing and analysis skills so that I am able to get it done at a good speed. This will allow me more time to get the impromptus perfected and double check my multiple choice answers. I implore anyone who hasn't done many impromptu's or still feels like they are not where they need to be to try this chapter(13)'s impromptu and do any that are in any remaining chapters!!!

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Something that is helping me get more prepared with the timed aspect of the test is being more confident in my work.  It helps so much not having to double back on every sentence and be confident what you put down is good work.  This goes hand in hand with practicing my use of grammar and writing more complex.  It really all comes down to practicing your body paragraphs.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman - I think confidence is so key! Sometimes I find myself repeating things over and over unnecessarily because I lack that confidence that my initial sentence explaining a concept made sense. I tried to really work on this in my impromptus and found that this was a time saver as I wasn't doubling back on sentences every time.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@username27 efficiency is something that I have been working on in my impromptus as well. Whether it be trusting my ideas just like you said, or having a good plan beforehand, so I wont be trying to figure out what I have to write in the moment. I think a big thing for me is that having an idea of what I want each paragraph to look like, so I can be more organized in my thoughts.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking