Notifications
Clear all

The Exile

Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

So I did the latest impromptu earlier today, and I wanted to open a forum discussion on it. Normally I don't have too much of a problem with the impromptus, and I really enjoy writing them, but I found this one a little more difficult than normal. I found it took me a lot longer than normal to write it, even if I had an idea in my mind what I was trying to say. So I was wondering, what did you guys think of this prompt? What book/character did you write about, and what did you find helped while writing it? A little more generally than this prompt in particular, does anybody have any tips that you normally use when writing impromptus that help you to articulate the meaning you are trying to convey?

Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I agree I found myself taking too much time to write this essay I really worked on this and ended up giving up because of how hard this essay was something I just couldn't figure out what to do to write it. something which I thought was that my mind was too busy wandering about spring break and the future. I don't know about everyone else but I have been taking a lot more time on my assignments as my mind beings to wander. I was trying to write about the invisible man but it has been far too long. I think that i want to start writing more about Kafka to figure out what i can write about next  

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @jacksonvon

taking a lot more time on my assignments as my mind beings to wander.

I feel the same way... I suppose we could call it senioritis haha. That being said, I also found this one a little bit difficult as I wrote about IM, and had to actively stop myself from talking about the obvious: racism. I had to really think about the deeper meaning and connecting that to exile, but in the end I got the impromptu out, though I'm not as proud of it as the other impromptus...

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I definitely agree that this one was different.  I found myself looking at what I was writing and kept thinking if it was good enough for the amount of depth I could be adding.  I went back and changed some things but that was really the first time I found myself wondering even after a sentence or something.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman I can agree with the depth portion of your post. Now when I looked at this impromptu I was also quite confused on the topic that was given. Although I liked the idea of exile and how interesting of a topic it is, this was really hard to write about. I chose to use Turn of the Screw for my essay and if I'm being honest I didn't really like how it turned out. I found it especially hard to incorporate some portions of the question at hand. This was definitely the hardest one we have done yet in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I notice that with a majority of topics we are given to write about, the book you think will do the best doesn't always end up fitting the way you want it to.  I have  had to go back and rewrite lots of impromptus to make sure it made sense to more people than myself.  I think re reading is sometimes the best option you have, making sure it looks the way you want it to.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman - I agree! I have had a lot of impromptus where I see such a clear connection between the book and the prompt, but it might not be as clear to other people also writing the prompt. I feel like when this happens also, I struggle with trying to put that connection into words. I feel like this has been a really big theme in the class. We all can make connections, but articulating them is the hardest part.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 to go off the point of re-reading, I actually went back and re-read Flatland since we haven't touched it since the beginning of the year. I had such a different perspective on it and noticed way more things that I initially never did when I read it first. I guess my thinking has certainly changed as a result of this class.....

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking